Sodium hexametaphosphate of commerce is typically a mixture of metaphosphates, of which the hexamer is one, and is usually the compound referred to by this name. Such a mixture is more correctly termed sodium polymetaphosphate.
- This chemical is used as essential ingredient for breakfast cereal, beverages, dips, cheese, frozen products and synthetic maple syrup.
- This chemical is used in fish and meat based sausages for its excellent water holding capacity that reduces the possibility of fat oxidation in food.
- Available in white colored granular or powder form
- Hygroscopic by nature
- Easily dilutes in water
- Being hygroscopic, this food grade chemical tends to decompose when exposed to air
- By diluting in water, it forms acidic solution.